Thursday, July 9, 2015


On the High Seas!


I love to read stories, real or fictitious, about adventure and endurance.  About fifteen years ago I read  In the Heart of the Sea, by Nathaniel Philbrick.  It immediately became one of my favorite books as I could not imagine how the survivors of a shipwreck could survive drifting in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for as long as they did.  By the end of the book I could almost taste the salty air, as I was so engaged in the story.  

I recently saw a trailer for the movie version of this book, coming out in November, and was inspired to read it again.

An interesting fact about this true story is that it inspired Herman Melville's Moby-Dick.  I would recommend this book to any adult interested in Nantucket, sailing and stories of surviving the harshest of elements.


The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is another story about an ocean adventure, that takes place, like In the Heart of the Sea, in the early 1800's.  I think young boys and girls will like this story about a young girl and her numerous adventures while on board an 19th century merchant ship.

I am ready for a sailing lesson!

Next:  Mr. Layman is diving (falling is more appropriate) into the Land of Stories series.



1 comment:

  1. Mr. Layman, Thanks for the reccomendation! I'm putting it on my list to read! Maybe you SHOULD have a sailing lesson. With that and the Dragon Boat Race, maybe you have a new calling......

    ReplyDelete